Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

American Idol

Posted by Mike D. 
American Idol
September 09, 2002 09:39AM
After checking out the hoopla generated by Fox's "American Idol" couldn't help but think of a music critic who, in reviewing a particularly well known singer's latest album, observed that she was incapable of getting through a song "without punching it in the stomach" - a memorable observation that would have applied to most of the contestants on this show. Maybe for the next edition of the show they can lock the contestants in a sound room and allow them to take a crash course in Understatement and Nuance, courtesy of Peggy's recorded legacy. One can only hope.
Re: American Idol
September 10, 2002 07:32AM

Mike, I had similar thoughts about the "talent" in vogue on this program. I fear our national taste in music has hit a sour note. America now recognizes shouting as the norm for popular singing. Thank God for Peggy's legacy - it provides sanity and class in these troubled times. I know the musical pendulum will "swing" back one of these days ; it can't happen soon enough for me.
John
September 10, 2002 09:41AM
I couldn't agree more. The lower the standards get for entertainment the better the classic performers look. I thought this the other day when I heard an Eddie Fisher song and thought that it was pretty good. I've never liked him very much, but in comparison to new performers he's terrific. Not to be mean to Eddie Fisher fans, but to make a point that even the most pedestrian performers of the past had some sense of style and craft.

The American Idol performers are like the ultimate puppet performers. They are thinking while singing, but just forcing out a lot of air. No one sang from the inside out, like Peggy did. I wonder how the judges would have reacted to a quiet song done thoughfully.

Considering it was a such a huge hit, I don't know if there is much hope for popular music at this time. But I'm hopeful that sometime soon people will wise up. Until then, I'm glad that there are people like Peggy fans who will keep the great music alive...
September 13, 2002 02:11PM
The proof of Peggy's artistry and integrity is right in the grooves of her recordings. Listen to her Goodman version of "How Deep Is the Ocean" (even with the verses changed around to get the title line first). She is totally hypnotic. Passive, immobile yet hinting intriguingly of something dark and disturbing. She's singing about how much she loves someone, how much she's devoted to someone and yet she sounds like she's barely able to conceal some terror. Or as one critic said, she sounds like the moon drifting slowly across a clouded sky. A hundred years from now people will still be listening to Peggy Lee and still be buying her music, whatever form it is in at that time. She will not be forgotten; rather, she will be an even bigger legend than now. Screams die away. Whispers linger.
September 15, 2002 10:55AM
Gentlemen...You sound like you are all over fifty....You must get with the times.......American Idol is for the young....They love all that screamimg...Ballads just won't do.....I, myself could not watch it at the beginning,,,It was like a root canal......But I did enjoy the last three shows and I love the winner...Miss Kelly...I think Peggy Lee would have approved of Kelly...kind of reminded me of a young Judy Garland...(wishful thinking)...I try to embrace all kinds of music(except for that rap crap)...that's what Peggy Lee taught me...she always grew with the times...doing it her way....I love her so.......
September 18, 2002 06:40AM

While "Getting With The Times" has never been my bag, appreciating finely tuned art has. I enjoy many of today's singers, from Diana Kraal to Eva Cassidy to Bruce Springsteen, but I bemoan the lack of craft, talent, and professionalism that currently defines the entertainment industry.
With due respect, popular taste is not necessarily good taste, so I sift through today's music searching for signs of quality. If I don't find it, there's a legacy of a lifetime that Peggy has left behind. To me it is a constant source of delight and amazement.I don't just mean her music; it is also her grace, poetry, attention to detail, and class that obviously are rare in this world. I guess that's what talent is, at least it is to me.
Kristie, you did hit the nail on the head regarding my being over fifty. Actually I'm sixty four, so I thank you for the compliment.
Yours for good music,
George K.
September 18, 2002 04:01PM
I love Eva Cassidy......I was a baby in the sixties, so it wasn't until the seventies that I discovered Peggy, Judy, and Ella to name a few...It was all my mothers music.........But instead of going to rock n roll, I embraced my mothers music and made it my own...I must agree with you about some of the terrible music out there today.....But I think that Kelly Clarkson has a beautiful voice...........I also recently heard Lorna Luft on some talk show and her voice is also lovely....But the greats will always be the best...Peggy...Peggy...Peggy and more Peggy......
September 18, 2002 08:57PM
Just for the record...I think that most men over 50 have wonderful taste in music and I must agree with "George K" in his opinion that the loudest "belt" is not indicative of the most talent in a singer.

As someone who has studied music for many years I would doubt that most of today's popular singers could even pass a vocal jury. On the other hand, Miss Lee had perfect pitch and a comprehensive knowledge (and love) of music which was obvious in her performances. Peggy Lee has less than an octave range in her voice...I would be interested to hear Mariah Carey or Brittney Spears (or...the American Idol) attempt to sing a song spanning less than an octave which focuses instead on the simple and pure beauty of the human voice...imagine that (as I laugh)! My father introduced me to Peggy Lee's music when I was a little girl and my love for it has grown throughout the years. I am 26 years old which is obviously makes me under 50. I consider myself to be "with the times," especially in music and yet I must agree that Peggy Lee still outshines our "American Idol."
September 19, 2002 11:48AM
Appreciating good music has nothing to do with age or getting with the times. I'm over 50 but I buy every Madonna album, I have Bruce Springsteen's new album (which you can bet will win the Grammy for Album of the Year and deservedly so), I'm getting Leann Rimes' new album, I'm a devotee of Neil Young, like the Dixie Chicks, and on and on and on. Putting down anyone with charges of ageism is not attractive, but doing it as a way of defending poor quality then again is not so unsual.
September 19, 2002 03:08PM
People, oh people....I thought I was being funny...A joke....Some people really take themselves very serious........What I was trying to say is that SOME people get in a rut....and should open their hearts to different kinds of music....I have friends in their 70's that are younger in spirit then most 30's year old.....Kara and Wayne, you remind me of the media....You take one sentence from my comment and run with it....I didn't mean to insult anyone......I just stated my opinion......
John
September 19, 2002 04:09PM
There are a lot of good singers out there. Norah Jones is one that I think everyone who likes Peggy should check out.

The problem I had with the whole American Idol contest is that it squeezed out every bit of humanity out of the performers. It was horrible to watch someone perform and then be told how horrible they were. Is this entertainment? Imagine if on the Ed Sullivan Show Lena Horne did a song and then Ed said, "Lena that was really terrible, you'll never get anywhere if you keep opening your mouth so wide."
September 19, 2002 04:51PM
Kristie, oh Kristie....I agree that some folks do get in a rut, but that has absolutely nothing to do with their age...it has to do with having a closed mind to new experiences. Some people in the young "American Idol" crowd could be accused of just the same thing--many of them would would never give Peggy's music a try. But ultimately we can all agree that it would be their loss. My CD collection is one of the most diverse collections of all the people I know. I believe that variety is the spice of life (especially in music) and sometimes you can wind up loving something that you never would have thought you could just because you kept an open mind.

Here are my final thoughts: Go Peggy! Go Springsteen (Wayne...you're right...The Boss' new album WILL win that Grammy)! But, this site is about Peggy, so lets keep it focused on her, shall we?

By the way George K., I also met Peggy backstage a few times many years ago (although I was too young for champagne at the time)...wasn't she sweet to her fans?
September 19, 2002 06:43PM
Well...Well...Well.....Isn't this fun.....We could make this the longest post ever.....But I must get the last word....From our beloved Peggy Lee CD...Close enough for Love...."I cant resist you"(peggy lee fans) but "easy Does it", because it "Rain Sometimes"(I live in Oregon)......."Just one of those Things"Because we all love Peggy......"Through the Eyes of Love"....
April 23, 2019 03:21PM
This post was long ago, but I have to respond to Kara. LUCKY YOU!!! Oh, how I would have loved to have met Peg. I watched her in an interview and she said she liked to be called simply Peg. Peg it is!! LOVE LOVE LOVE
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login