Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'After Hours' on DVD

Posted by David Torresen 
'After Hours' on DVD
August 09, 2004 07:04PM
I'm happy to see that Martin Scorsese's 1985 dark comedy "After Hours" will make its DVD debut (with bonus features) from Warner Home Video on August 17. Peggy's original recording of "Is That All There Is?" figures prominently -- and very cleverly -- in one of the movie's final scenes. More info at the following links:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.imdb.com]

David
Re: 'After Hours' on DVD
August 10, 2004 04:37AM
The 'Scorsese connection' - as I once desribed it to another Peggy fan - intrigues me. Two other films of his that mention Peggy are Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and New York, New York. In the former the Ellen Burstyn character, practising at her piano as she prepares to take up her former job as a bar/club singer, sighs, "Peggy Lee, it ain't", and in the latter film young 'demo' singer played by Liza Minnelli is asked to sing in the style of Peggy Lee. This all has to be a little more than just coincidence.

Any thoughts, David, Ivan or anyone?
Iv
August 15, 2004 05:39PM
Tony, I'm sorry to say that I don't know of any specific connection.

Scorsese may be well versed in many types of music. Witness his involvement in the recent documentary about the blues (whose music boxed set won the two Grammys for which "Peggy Lee: The Singles Collection" was also competing).

If he has listened to Sinatra and Bennett -- as any Italian-American proud of his heritage would -- chances are that he has some degree of acquaintance with Peggy's work. Given his age, he may have grown up listening to quite a few singers of the gloden age, come to think of it.

It would perhaps be interesting to check who were the screenwriters for each movie, too.

Iv
August 17, 2004 09:15AM
Thanks, Ivan. The writing credits differ for the three movies, so I guess it is no more than coincidence.
Iv
July 24, 2019 12:39PM
Well, it took me 15 years, but I finally watched the scene from Alice Doesn't Live Anymore to which Tony was referring above! ... I caught part of the movie the other day on the TCM channel. I had completely forgotten that there was any connection between this film and our vocalist.

In came the scene with Ellen at the piano, and right away I said to myself, "hmm, sounds so similar to Peggy's version." But I promptly dismissed the thought, thinking that it was probably my febrile imagination -- i.e., a fan so taken with a favorite singer that he hears her even where she is nowhere to be found. Imagine my surprise, then, when, at the end of the scene, Ellen muttered, "well, Peggy Lee it ain't."

As for the film After Hours, for decades it probably ranked as the best-remembered use of Peggy's singing of "Is That All There Is" on screen ... Then the final episode of Mad Men, and now that finale has become the most popular visual connection to the recording.

Ivan

P.S. As for the possibility that Scorsese might find personal enjoyment in Lee's music, I remain unaware of any direct indication. His quote on this page suggests that he leans toward doo wop and 1950s rhythm & blues.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login