Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tribute to Peggy

Posted by Richard 
Tribute to Peggy
September 11, 2004 04:55PM
Another question I have. I get the feeling that more new artists pay tribute to Peggy and remember her by recording an album with her songs or songs associated with her. I know the following, are there more singers out there?

Jeanie Bryson
Heather Bishop
Connie Evingson
Maria Muldaur
Jessica Molaskey
Kate Dimbleby

Richard from Holland.
Iv
Re: Tribute to Peggy
September 15, 2004 07:19PM
A topic of special interest to me, Richard. Not too long ago, I took upon the task of compiling vocal tributes to singers of standards. Various artist tributes not included. In Peggy's case, I found 8, including the six that you mentioned:

PEGGY LEE (8)

1. Lezlie Anders:
To Peggy, With Love
2. Heather Bishop:
Tribute to Peggy Lee
3. Jeanie Bryson:
Some Cats Know
- The Songs of
Peggy Lee
4. Kate Dimbebly:
Peggy Lee
- The Cocktail Hour
5. Connie Evingson:
Fever - A Tribute
To Peggy Lee
6. Jessica Molaskey:
It's a Good Day
7. Maria Muldaur:
A Woman Alone
with the Blues
8. Janet Seidel:
Don?t Smoke
in Bed

I know that Diana Krall has talked about the possibility of recording a tribute album, too, and I for one would welcome it.

But my biggest hope remains a Peggy Lee songbook from k.d. kang, who is arguably an even greater fan than Diana. She'd do an amazing job, I bet.

Iv
September 15, 2004 10:54PM
Hi Ivan:

I agree with you about k.d. lang. She would do a great job. I thought of writing to her when she was in Baltimore, but unfortunately, I didn't get to it. A few of the names you mentioned, I am not familiar with. Do you have a preference? Which singer do you think does Peggy justice or semi-justice? Many thanks.

Ruth
September 16, 2004 10:16AM
Thanks Ivan, for completing my list. I think it would be great if both K.D. Lang and Diana Krall would record tribute albums. I get the feeling that this might happen somewhere in the future, because it seems to me as I said before that her artistry is more and more admired throughout the music world and other singers. Let's hope K.D. Lang would do a recording. I love her voice very much.

Greetings,
Richard
Century McCall Ross
September 16, 2004 11:12AM
k.d. lang has a moody, floating version of "Don't Smoke In Bed" on her "drag" CD.
Frank S.
September 18, 2004 10:55AM
It would be great if K. D. Lang would do a tribute album to Miss Lee. Besides her version of "Don't Smoke In Bed" on her "Drag" CD, she has sung "Black Coffee" on her "Shadowland" CD. On "Live By Request" CD, she sang both "Black Coffee" and "Don't Smoke In Bed".
September 28, 2004 07:00AM
I would like Bette Midler to do a tribute album. The tribute she did to Rosemary Clooney was wonderful and showed us what a versatile singer Bette really is. I had my doubts about the ballads but when i listened to them I realised just how soft and gentle Bette can really be - she is NOT Peggy Lee but it would be a beautifully produced album with great backings.

G
September 28, 2004 02:35PM
George, you are right about how great Bette's tribute CD to Rosemary Clooney is! The only fault is that it is too short. I think much of the credit goes to Barry Manilow, a friend of Ms. Clooney, who produced it and did all the wonderful arrangements.

Regards to all,
Bill C.
Iv
August 10, 2005 05:38PM
I just thought that this would be a good time to rescue this thread, what with the Bette Midler news. George McGhee was prescient!

Besides those mentioned above, not too long ago there was another tribute. Coincidentally, it was a tribute not only to Peggy but also to a certain other singer:

Meg Clifton & Mary Ellen Desmond:
Peggy Lee - Rosemary Clooney Tribute

So, Midler's disc ups the total to 10 tributes, or 9 and a half if you will.

For fans of trivia, I should add that (as far as I know) only three classic pop or jazz singers have received more LP/CD tributes: Billie Holiday, Nat King Cole, and Frank Sinatra.

Ivan
August 12, 2005 05:55PM
Although she hasn't yet released a tribute album, NYC-based singer Mary Foster Conklin has been performing a live version of Peggy Lee's "Mirrors" in its entirety, with piano trio accompaniment. The shows have been well received, and I know she's been considering recording the material as well.

I'd like to hear a number of singers do a take on one classic Lee album; say, "Black Coffee," with a different singer featured on each track. It could make for an interesting spin on the all-star tribute concept, with the original album providing a cohesion that's often missing from such affairs.
August 14, 2005 06:11PM
Fans of trivia-

Another jazz/pop singer is Dinah Washington who has received CD tributes.

I agree 100% on K. D. Lang. Rare talent with a great voice.
Iv
August 17, 2005 10:57AM
I do remember various comments about the Mary Foster Conklin show, back when she debuted it. The idea for the project came from the person who was booking the Mama Rose's cabaret at the time, and who was doing a series of shows that were all called "covers." Mary was very excited about the idea, and joked that the songs from the album were perfect for her, because they are clearly intended to be sung by altos who used to smoke.

I don't know if she talked much about the origin or history of these songs during her cabaret act? Mind you, we *do* learn details about some of them in William Bolcom's notes for the "Mirrors" album (pretty good ones, except for the fact that they concentrate completely on the songwriters and the project, with barely one quick allusion to the singer). And I learned additional details thanks to Bolcom's notes in the Leiber & Stoller album that he himself did, with soprano Joan Morris. But the songs are so intriguing that I was left wanting to learn even more.

Incidentally, Mary Foster Conklin actually recorded both "I'm Gonna Go Fishin'" and "Some Cats Know" on her "Crazy Eyes," but that CD was released many years before her "Mirrors" show.

Ivan
August 17, 2005 09:25PM
Ivan,

I never saw Mary's show, but I doubt she talked much about the origin of those songs only because I doubt she knew much. I don't think she even spoke with Leiber & Stoller until after her "Mirrors" show had been produced. I'd actually met and worked with her on an unrelated project some time before that, but we never talked about "Mirrors" or Peggy Lee at that time.

I plan to put more info on the origin of the songs in the liner notes to the forthcoming "Peggy Lee Sings Leiber & Stoller" CD. I also plan to write more about Peggy herself, and the specifics of her relationship with Leiber & Stoller; I agree with you that Bolcom's notes to "Mirrors," while hard to top in nearly all other respects, were unaccountably slight on Lee.
Iv
August 22, 2005 01:17PM
Very cool, Peter! All the more a reason to look forward to this upcoming Leiber & Stoller CD.

Ivan
August 29, 2005 02:12PM
I want Bette Midler to do the tribute. She is such a Sensation!!!!
August 29, 2005 02:49PM
Amber -- I agree with you about Bette, she is fabulous! And she actually is in the midst of recording a tribute to Peggy -- the release date isn't known, but Barry Manilow will be producing it, as he did the Rosemary Clooney tribute CD. It should be wonderful -- I can't wait to hear Bette sing "Is That All There Is?" Someone mentioned above that they didn't know Bette could sing ballads and be soft and gentle -- she can sing anything! Most people that know her from the late 70s and early 80s know her as a rock singer, but that's only a few years out of her 40-year career. She actually has said that she considers herself a balladeer -- I'm glad that the Rosemary Clooney songbook opened you up to another side of Bette's incredibly versatile voice. The Peggy Lee tribute should do that again, as well as keep Peggy's music alive.
September 02, 2005 11:09AM
I agree with you Sarah again. I mean everything Bette does is a great EXPERIENCE! I can't wait till it comes out then I can blare it on my speakers all day heheh.... I like Peggy Lee, I heard her sing a couple days ago and that's when I became a fan. hehe... Maybe Peggy Lee and Bette will do a duet heheh eh hoping smiling smiley
Iv
August 11, 2007 05:11AM
Time to update the list of tributes found above:

1. Lezlie Anders: To Peggy, with Love
2. Heather Bishop: Tribute to Peggy Lee
3. Jeanie Bryson: Some Cats Know - The Songs of
Peggy Lee
4. Meg Clifton and Mary Ellen Desmond: Peggy Lee and Rosemary Clooney Tribute
5. Kate Dimbebly: Peggy Lee - The Cocktail Hour
6. Alexis Donnelly: Sings Peggy Lee
7. Connie Evingson: Fever - A Tribute to Peggy Lee
8. Bette Midler: Sings The Peggy Lee Songbook
9. Jessica Molaskey: It's a Good Day
10. Maria Muldaur: A Woman Alone with the Blues
11. Janet Seidel: Don't Smoke in Bed
12. Mindy Simmons: Is That All There Is - A Tribute to Peggy Lee
Iv
June 12, 2009 04:46AM
Time to update the list above, since it's been two years. Only one CD to add, though a very deserving one (Tish Oney's).

1. Lezlie Anders: To Peggy, with Love
2. Heather Bishop: Tribute to Peggy Lee
3. Jeanie Bryson: Some Cats Know - The Songs of Peggy Lee
4. Meg Clifton and Mary Ellen Desmond: Peggy Lee and Rosemary Clooney Tribute
5. Kate Dimbleby: Peggy Lee - Ain't This Cosy
6. Alexis Donnelly: Sings Peggy Lee
7. Connie Evingson: Fever - A Tribute to Peggy Lee
8. Bette Midler: Sings The Peggy Lee Songbook
9. Jessica Molaskey: It's a Good Day
10. Maria Muldaur: A Woman Alone with the Blues
11. Tish Oney - Dear Peg
12. Janet Seidel: Don't Smoke in Bed
13. Mindy Simmons: Is That All There Is - A Tribute to Peggy Lee
June 12, 2009 01:34PM
14. Michelle Wallis - Peg: A Tribute to Peggy Lee
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login