Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dewey Martin

Posted by alanm 
Dewey Martin
August 02, 2005 04:33PM
I did a search for actor Dewey Martin on this bulletin board and was surprised to come up with only one mention for one of Peggy Lee's husbands. I am no expert on how often Dewey Martin's movies are shown on cable channels like TCM. But, one of his lesser known movies is on TV next week.

"Tennessee Champ" (1954) with Shelley Winters, Keenan Wynn and Dewey Martin will be shown on TCM 8/8/05 at 8 AM (ET). Martin plays a young boxer.

The young Dewey Martin was extremely handsome, even by Hollywood standards. He was just a fair to average actor if my memory is correct.

Anyone know what happened to him? Is he still alive?
Re: Dewey Martin
August 03, 2005 02:11AM
The IMDb site gives his date of birth as 8 December 1923. His marriage to Peggy Lee is shown as 1956 and divorced in 1958.

They do not show an expiry date so presumably he is still alive.

Bob Wallace.
August 03, 2005 02:09PM
Hi Alan!

At TCM they sometimes send a musical-comedy from 1957 with Dewey Martin and Dean Martin and some beautiful Italian actresses. The title on this movie is "Ten Thousand Bedrooms."

I also have seen him in a Science Fiction movie with title: "The Thing From Other Space." from 1951.

Dewey was a very good and stylish actor.

I think he is looking at his movies even today.

Jarl
Iv
August 04, 2005 04:00PM
Weirdly enough, I thought that he had passed away... Maybe I was confusing him with Peggy's second husband (Brad Dexter), who has indeed passed away.

The website's library contains an article about Peggy and Dewey's courtship. Dated 1955 or 1956, if memory serves. I also have one of those yellow magazines from the time, which contains an article titled "Peggy Lee's Open Door for Ex-Husbands." It's rather amusing. Its whole point is that, after marrying them, Peggy doesn't completely let go of her exes. Or they don't let go of her. According to the article, both Barbour and Dexter remained "mainstays in Peggy Lee's household," and they all were "the best of friends, to say the least." Then the magazine paints a chuckle-worthy scene for us:

For instance, when the lovable Peggy returned home recently from a tour, she was met at the airport by Dewey Martin, who was then just one guy in the long stag line. Martin drove her to the Beverly Hills harem-in-reverse, pulled up in the driveway and opened the front door, only to find there, dressed in shorts, sneakers and nothing else, like the lords of the manor, husband no. 1 Dave Barbour and ditto no. 2, actor Brad Dexter. "Hi Dewey," chorused the boys. "Come on in. Hey, Peggy honey. How was the trip?" And soon, after a round of affectionate kissing, hugging and squeezing, the four broad minds were comfortably ensconced in the patio, shooting the Hollywood breeze.
END OF QUOTE

If all of this is true, all I got to say is that Peggy had it good, and that ain't bad! :-))

It was nice to also read the following, allegedly said by "a certain Hollywood psychiatrist:"

"Miss Lee's daughter, Nicki, is one of the mot well-adjusted children I've ever seen. Certainly no child of divorced parents in my experience has ever exhibited such a well-balanced attitude. And that's because her daddy -- Dave Barbour -- was always an integral part of the household. This little girl doesn't doubt that her daddy loves her mommy."

Toward the end of the article, we are told that, shortly before marrying, Martin "bought himself some insurance for privacy against ex-husbands" by buying a new home for him and Peggy to live in.

As grounds for their divorce in 1959, Peggy testified that Martin was "extremely jealous" and made her friends so unwelcome at their home that "they stopped calling."

Ivan
September 13, 2005 02:07PM
How interesting that messages about Dewey Martin still exist. I used to know Dewey after his divorce from Peggy Lee. He was a great friend and a terrific person. He went to Italy in the 60's to try a movie career there as he was disgusted with Hollywood for many reasons. I don't think he had any great success there.

I lost touch with him after that time and would love to know if he's still alive and how to reach him. Any information about how to contact him would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Bettan
September 15, 2005 01:20PM
Dear Bettan!

I think the best way for you to find Dawey Martin personaly is to take contact via International Movie Data Base. They can give you more information and contact adresses for the artist or his company.

Dewey Martin was married two times, to actress and singer Peggy Lee and to Margaret Ann Havelhurst. I have no correct information if Margaret Ann Havelhurst is synonym with actress Margaret Sheridan. Margaret Sheridan was playing "Nikki" in the famous SF movie from 1951 "The Thing From Another World".

Dewey Martin was born in August 1923, but I don't know where he is living. He was an actor in 22 movies from 1942-1974.

Bettan, search [www.imdb.com] and I hope they will help you.

My Best Wishes!
Jarl
September 22, 2005 02:21AM
Celebs Central has an address listed for Dewey Martin. I don't know if it is still valid, etc. but you could write him a letter to see:

[www.celebscentral.net]

Adam :-)
June 02, 2006 01:21AM
Dear Bettan,

If you should receive a reply from Mr. Martin I hope you can share it with us. I remember him vividly even as a bit player he stood out from the rest, and his acting I thought was very convincing in roles as varied as roughnecks, wisecracking G.I.'s or the innocent reaching for the American dream and becoming hardened from the realities of life along the way. I honestly don't understand what the critics expected of him, he portrayed the American male at its worst and best, he was one of the hardest working actors in the business, he was genuinely handsome from any angle and possessed a superb athletic physique. The last I heard of him was in the last of the books in the series, "Whatever Happened to..." It said Mr. Martin was no longer interested in Hollywood or acting and had retired to a private life away from the public eye. The book's author couldn't even provide a recent photo of him, which of course is intrinsic to the purpose of the series. I was sad to learn he was so unappreciated in his Hollywood career, perhaps his skin wasn't thick enough to withstand some of the bitches who thrive in that atmosphere. If Dewey Martin is still alive I pray he has found some peace and contentment, and realizes he has many more fans than he realized who loved him. Thanks for sharing your thoughts Bettan, it was your post that influenced me to share the little I know about this mystery.
October 06, 2007 05:56PM
Yes I know Dewey Martin, he is well and living in San Pedro, CA as of to day October 6, 2007. If you'd like me to get a message to him let me know.

Camber Hill
October 07, 2007 12:06PM
I would be very interested to know if Dewey Martin would be willing to post on this site about his memories of Hollywood and his career as well as what his life is like now. While it would be interesting to read his memories of Peggy Lee, I am just as interested in Dewey Martin (well almost as interested).
October 07, 2007 06:54PM
I just did a Google Image search. No wonder Peggy sang the blues.
October 08, 2007 11:48AM
Obviously I know the name but don't think I have seen a photo.

I found one and show the link. Confirmation this is he would be welcome.

[www.vttbots.com]

Thank you, someone!

Bob Wallace.
October 08, 2007 12:45PM
Bob,

Open Google and click on "Images" instead of "Web" above the search box; then enter Dewey Martin. You'll find several pics and links.

Ron
October 09, 2007 03:12AM
Thank you, Ron. Think I'm happy now, but these searches do produce much else - this time I even got the Stars and Stripes on page 2!

Best wishes,
Bob Wallace.
February 21, 2008 12:01PM
Hi Camber,

Read your bit about Dewey Martin. Tho he wouldn't remember me, we worked out together back in the late 70s and early 80s at Vince's Gym in N. Hollywood(along with Robert Blake and a cadre of stars). He looked great and was a nice, friendly guy. He shoulda had a bigger career... but that's Hollywood for you! He did a terrific Outer Limits episode and a lot of TV stuff way back. The Big Sky is still one of my favorites.

If you should ever see him, tell him one of the guys at Vince Gironda's Gym remembers him well, and says "hello... and keep on workin' out!"

Scott Harrison
February 11, 2012 03:46PM
Camber

Are you still able to contact Dewey? My uncle Jay Novello was in a movie with him that I was hoping to ask him questions about.
September 10, 2017 12:17PM
Dewey Martin is alive and doing well. He'll turn 94 in December. I noticed a few posters wanted to get in contact with him. If you have any messages you'd like sent to him you can send them to me. He and my mother have been living together for over 35 years.
September 10, 2017 12:21PM
What is it you wanted to ask Dewey Martin about your Uncle?
August 17, 2018 04:26PM
Just watched the Twilight Zone (in the U.K) then googled Dewey Martin. Fascinating he is still with us. Hope he is well. Send him my regards...
October 08, 2018 03:37PM
Hi All,

Just read in CLASSIC IMAGES that Dewey Martin died on 3/9/2018 of natural causes at 94. Seems as though he had a good life by his standards. I think this might be "old news"?

All the best,

michael W.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login