Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is That All There Is?

Posted by Kevin 
Is That All There Is?
August 08, 2017 03:44AM
As many of you will recall or know, when Peggy Lee introduced Is That All There Is? in 1969, many thought that it was an autobiographical sketch. She seemed to inhabit its words so well; she seemed to have experienced each of the moments described.

Nonetheless, when Diana Ross left The Supremes in 1970, she chose to borrow the song for use during her earliest solo appearances. Being 24 years younger than Miss Lee, however, she had to adapt certain portions of the narration slightly to fit her own life experiences. But in their own way, especially in the third vignette, Diana's recollections were as timeless and as ahead-of-their time as those in the original recording.

Now, at last, the Diana Ross version, unheard for some 47 years, has found its way to YouTube, and you might be interested to learn that "there is more" to be found in both the lyrics of the song and in life (as Miss Lee, herself, would go on to acknowledge in one of the songs from her Broadway show.

See what you think:

[www.youtube.com]
Re: Is That All There Is?
August 20, 2017 03:00PM
I think it's fine, charming even. The same type of arrangement helps. I was a big fan of Diana Ross and the Supremes when I was a kid. It's funny -- Cher is still a big attraction, residency in Las Vegas, sold out shows, countless "farewell tours," Lady Gaga and the like all pay tribute but Diana Ross isn't really on the radar anymore. She's still out there but hardly playing venues appropriate for someone with her history. Here's a link to a recent appearance:

[www.youtube.com]

Fort Wayne, Indiana. No offense to Fort Wayne but...

She's noted for being a bit "prickly." Maybe that's the problem. Some time back she was going to do a Supremes reunion tour but she wouldn't pay the real former Supremes anything close to what she was getting, hired nobodies in their place, and the tour died before it began, or soon after. Too bad.

I wish somebody would upload to YouTube the TV specials the Supremes and the Temptations (my all time favorite group) did together in the late 60s. The Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass specials would be nice too. I was a kid in the 60s (born 1959) and when someone says "60s music" I don't think of the Beatles or Rolling Stones, I think of Herb Alpert and Burt Bacharach, not to mention "Is That All There Is?" I was fairly obsessed with that song when it was on the charts. Pardon my rambling. Thanks for the link Kevin.
July 08, 2018 04:21AM
Commenting on the lyrics to is that all there is. I have not yet heard the alternate take, since there are many ways to interpret this song, but that the answer to the question “is that all there is” is NO! That’s not all there is! Something indeed is missing! The meaning of all of life. Because if going through life’s ups and downs is all there is then yes let’s break out the booze! Peggy certainly conveyed this to me at least. “To just believe in this living is a hard way to go.” (John Prine)
April 23, 2019 01:14PM
OMG! Never heard that rendition before. That is hysterically funny. I wonder what Miss Peggy thought about that???? Kudos to Miss Ross. (applause).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login