Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anybody know this performance?

Posted by Ricquer 
Anybody know this performance?
July 03, 2018 05:28PM
Does anyone know what performance these pictures are from? (See following link, pictures at the top of the page.)

I know it is the early 70's from the gown....

Link:

[topactors.info]
Iv
Re: Anybody know this performance?
July 04, 2018 08:29AM
Right. My understanding is that they were taken at a Westbury Music Fair performance (New York, 1973).

Ivan
July 04, 2018 05:25PM
Thanks for the info Ivan. I know she had that gown in three different colors (white, yellow, and blue). She wore the blue one on "This Is Your Life." Lots of chiffon!
July 05, 2018 09:32AM
To the best of my recollection, Miss Lee wore the yellow gown for her appearance with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops Orchestra on PBS. This renews the question as to if and when that episode will ever be commercially released.
Iv
July 06, 2018 08:58AM
You are very welcome, Ricquer.

Interesting comments about Peggy's wardrobe.

Now that you told us about the "triplets," I am realizing that I have seen at least two of those.

Yellow
She wore the yellow version for the "Sing" medley with Carol Burnett. We see it in this clip (starting around 24:52):
[www.youtube.com]

Blue
In addition to the This Is Your Life episode, she wore the blue dress for the "Just Friends" medley with Bobby Darin:

http://www.bobbydarin.net/bdlee2.jpg

White
That's the only "triplet" that I don't recall having seen. But, taking into account that so many published photos from that era are in black & white, perhaps I have come across it more often than the other two, and I just don't know it!

Mother
If we travel back to 1971, we can find her wearing an "ancestor" of the yellow dress. Check out her performances of "I Feel the Earth Move" and "Watch What Happens":
[www.youtube.com]
The mother of the triplets, we might say.

Granddaughters
For the "Evening at Pops" appearance (1974), I believe that she is wearing a different dress ... what we might call, within this sartorial line, a "granddaughter." It is actually blue. Let me see if I can successfully post a photo of it:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyAwydCHgK5oH_0g_Dktyp-Jp3x5xHbk7QUcOi52BP0dxORfUO

Actually, that blue dress might be a member of yet another sartorial set of triplets:

2) I've seen photos of Peggy wearing a brown version.

3) Then there is a pastel (pink or light orange) version, which might have been the one she favored the most. I believe that photos of her wearing it range from 1974 to 1977, and include the following:

https://images.eil.com/large_image/PEGGY%5FLEE_LIVE%2BIN%2BLONDON-461313c.jpg

Ivan
July 08, 2018 04:08PM
Thank you for tracing the lineage of this triplet of gowns, Ivan! You are spot on about the yellow one worn for the "Sing" medley with Julie Andrews (I think you meant to say "Julie Andrews" ) and the blue version worn with Bobby Darin, and the mother/ancestor worn for "I Feel the Earth Move" and "Watch What Happens" on the Carol Burnett Show. The others (the "granddaughter" on Evening at Pops and the brown version) are similar but do not share DNA, per se.

Here is a link for the sister of "I Feel the Earth Move" (the mother) made in white (notice the beading at the neck). It looks pink because of the lighting. Miss Lee wore it at the opening of the new Playboy hotel in Great Gorge, New Jersey in February 1972. This picture really shows off the movement and fun she could have with layers of chiffon.

[ibb.co]
Iv
July 09, 2018 09:54AM
Thank you very much for that pic, Ricquer, which I had not seen before, and for sharing both venue and dating with all of us.

Since we now have a "white mother" and a "yellow mother," I am left to wonder if there was also a third "mother." We'll have to keep an eye ...

This thread could be renamed "The Chiffon Files" ...!

Ivan
July 10, 2018 07:31PM
Hi Ivan,

Re the "Chiffon Files," there is actually a "grandmother" to the previously referred to gowns. Here is a link with Miss Lee wearing a light "dove grey" chiffon gown with beading down the front doing a skit with Carol Burnett on the Carol Burnett show. An interesting piece of trivia (depending on your interests, of course) -- the "dove grey" chiffon gown was originally designed to be worn by Miss Lee for her performance at the Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C. on September 18, 1971, during the Kennedy Center's inaugural performances.

[www.youtube.com]

-Ricquer
July 10, 2018 08:03PM
Peggy Lee appeared at The Playboy Club-Hotel at Great Gorge, near McAfee, New Jersey, for a single night on January 15, 1972. The Playboy resort was newly opened, having had it's soft opening on December 6 the previous month. The VIP opening was held on the weekend January 7 – 9, when Hugh Hefner attended. The night club in the new facility seated 700 and the management planned on having name entertainment on Saturday nights. The club opened for business over the Christmas – New Year holiday period with Ann-Margaret as the headliner for several non-consecutive nights. She was followed on the Saturday nights throughout January by Nancy Wilson, Peggy Lee, Doc Severinsen and Bill Cosby.
April 23, 2019 01:21PM
I was wondering if anyone knows if the show "This Is Your Life" is on DVD or YouTube? I would give anything to watch this about Miss Peggy's life. Most of the shows and interviews I catch of Peggy are by accident just searching around YouTube.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login