Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Let's have a ball!

Posted by cateb 
Let's have a ball!
July 16, 2019 12:19PM
Hey all... Cate here. I surely hope you all are having a fantastic summer. I think it stinks. The heat is horrible here. I am hoping to hear from Ivan and Richard. I miss you gentlemen. Too many months go by we don't write. My new adventures with Peggy are as follows...I figured out how to listen to her last recording on YouTube. I knew the name of the song, "I see you". I just couldn't find it anywhere under her name no matter how hard I searched. Then, I figured out, who wrote it? BINGO. Now I can listen to it when ever I wish. Now, I just have to find out if she recorded it and what cd it is on. Have a great day. Hope to hear from any Peggy fans. Seems we are going the way of the wind. Love... Cate
Iv
Re: Let's have a ball!
July 17, 2019 11:04AM
Hi again Cate,

"I See You" was composed by the celebrated saxophonist Benny Carter, with whom Peggy Lee had a long-standing friendship and working relationship, both going back to the 1940s. He played, for instance, in her very first solo album, Rendezvous With Peggy Lee, recorded in 1947. Over the years, he also served as conductor for some of her sessions and nightclub concerts, as well as arranger of many of her interpretations.

As far as I know, the only physical product on which you can find "I See You" is the 1995 CD for which it was recorded. Dedicated to the songs that Carter himself (co-)wrote, it features many different artists, each one interpreting at least one of his compositions, if not more. Here is the CD's front cover:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/5122tXcpufL.jpg

Note that the title of this compact disc is just (The) Benny Carter Songbook. This point needs to be emphasized because there is also a sequel, titled The Benny Carter Songbook, Volume II. The artwork of these two volumes is very similar, and the releasing label is the same (MusicMasters), but only on the first volume does Peggy Lee participate.

This CD can still be found in sites such as Amazon, with some new copies going for about $15, and used copies for as little as $2 (plus shipping and handling).

Moving on to other news ...Yes, we are going through a heatwave in the United States. Today (July 17, 2019) the heat feels particularly oppressing.

Well, our ever-cool singer, aka Peggalee, never recorded the most famous standards about heat -- "Heat Wave," "Too Darn Hot" ... On this sweltering day, that's alright with me. (I'll wait till winter to lament it.)

My recommendation to fellow fans who are putting up with July's heat is to refresh their ears with Lee's evocative & relaxed version of the following classic by the Gershwin brothers:

... and the living is easy ... (1946)

Ivan
July 17, 2019 01:11PM
Hello Cate and Ivan,

Well... I too love "I See You". When I heard it for the first time I was deeply moved, because I thought this is such a great song to end an impressive recording career with. The lyrics are perfect and the song is melancholy to my ears and I love Peggy's voice here. Somehow it makes me a little sad to listen to, but I do every now and then. I said it before; I prefer to think of this song as her great last recording instead of her CD "Moments Like This". I never liked her last CD too much, although I know there are fans out there who love this album.

Thanks Ivan for reminding us of her fabulous version of Summertime. What a great song and what an excellent interpretation by Peggy. A perfect song for a lazy, hazy, warm summer's day.

Richard.
July 22, 2019 10:13AM
Ivan and Richard... thank you for replying to my rather scattered thoughts. I never know what to write here. I never think I will get an answer since very few people are on this site. To just say a few words about "I See You", Richard, I agree that it is sad to listen to the end of a great career. I, too, cry listening to it. But, as a true Peggy fan I must make myself listen. She just sounded so tired. This is what gets to me the most. The voice is still fantastic. Thank you, Ivan, for letting me know where to find this last recording. It just does not make sense that someone in higher places would not put her last song in a finally. Richard, I don't have that CD (Moments Like This) so I can't comment whether I like it or not. There are a few songs, if I were her music coordinator, I would have argued to high heaven that she should not sing! Some she should have recorded, she did not. Too late now. One that particularly bothers me is "I Never Told You". That would have been dynamite. Good day, gentlemen. Hope to hear from you again. I guess listening to Peg is like politics. Love to all who read this. Cate.
Iv
July 24, 2019 11:26AM
You are welcome, Richard. May I add that I too consider "I See You" an ideal and moving coda to Peggy's recording career?

The album Moments Like This is, on the other hand, less than ideal, but it too has its moments. I enjoy its version of "Why Don't You Do Right" -- especially its closing.

Ivan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login