Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Japanese mini LP CD question for Ivan (and new release)

Posted by paulb 
Japanese mini LP CD question for Ivan (and new release)
June 06, 2022 12:23PM
1.) Ivan, whilst looking through the Foreign Releases section of your discography, I noted that it mentions the Japanese "Rendezvous" (TOCJ-6079) as having been available as a mini LP CD (cardboard sleeve). I own every Peggy Japanese mini LP CD and have no knowledge of this ever being available, other than in the jewel-case version. Furthermore, I have never seen it advertised. Can you confirm this is definitely correct please? Many thanks in advance. Also, are you aware of any new re-issues in the works?

2.) There is a new Japanese mini LP CD now available on the Oldays label ODRS 98067 - "Somethin' Groovy". It also contains 2 bonus tracks - "The Lonesome Road" and "I Feel It." I am not sure how the licensing works for this label but I own others in the series (Chris Connor, Nancy Wilson, etc.) and the sound is excellent.
Iv
Re: Japanese mini LP CD question for Ivan (and new release)
June 15, 2022 10:43PM
Hi Paul,

Not having visited the board in a good while, I was pleasantly surprised to come across your message. Let me respond to your comments without further preamble.

1) That bit of information came from a gentleman who wrote to me about various old Peggy Lee CD items. I did query him about his allegation that this cardboard edition existed, and he protested that he had seen it with his very own eyes while in Japan, and that it was the first edition or pressing of the CD. He did not have any “hard evidence” (by which I mean, a copy of the CD in his collection, or a photo of it), though. Hence it would be fair to suspect faulty memory. Querying him again is no longer an option, as he has now passed away, but I think I’m going to delete the entry anyway. As far as I’m concerned, you are the authority in Japanese cardboard CDs, and if you haven’t seen this one, the chances of its actual existence are slim at best.

2) I did see it advertised online, a good while ago. At the time, I also found audio samples that indeed sounded pretty good. My understanding is that this is a Public Domain release (as opposed to a bootleg). The album is now about 55 years old; Japan’s copyright laws period for albums is 50 years. [Paul, if part of the reason why you are mentioning this CD is that the discography doesn’t have it listed, that is true. The discography has been on hiatus for some time now, with nothing new being entered. Among the reasons for the hiatus: I am in the process of migrating the discography to a different server, a long-term task that requires technical learning on my part, as well as the re-configuration of lots of text.]

Ivan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login