Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jim Bailey "IS" Peggy Lee

Posted by Randy McDonald 
Anyone who is able to show up at the Performing Arts Center at Cal State Northridge on June 1st will be mesmerized by Mr. Bailey's respectful tribute to Miss Peggy Lee. For tickets, call 818-785-8885. Feel free to contact me, Randy McDonald, at extremelyme_rm@yahoo.com with any questions about the show. Jim is a "master illusionist." No drag queen or female impersonator! He not only has the look down perfectly but his voice "becomes" hers! No lip-synching or background help. He "becomes" Miss Peggy. Swear to God!
Re: Jim Bailey
May 23, 2003 04:56AM
This one sounds interesting. Sorry, too far away but love they're keeping Peg alive!
A second show added!
May 26, 2003 08:53PM
The response to Jim Bailey's appearance this Sunday, June 1, has brought about a second show. Jim's astounding illusion of Miss Lee is truly an experience not to be missed! Jim, while in character of Miss Lee, is sure to bring those who attend to tears with not only having her "look" down to perfection, but since he uses his own voice to talk and sing (no dubbing or miming to a recorded track), all in attendance will be "shocked" at his respectful tribute to our much loved singer, actress and unforgettable entertainer. Tickets are still available, but they're going fast! This concert in Southern California is definitely one not soon to be forgotten by those fortunate enough to share in the "Jim Bailey Experience!"
January 20, 2004 07:34PM
I saw Jim Bailey perform as Peggy Lee at the Sahara Hotel in Las Vegas in in the early 70's. I glad that I did. Because he WAS that presence. In later years I made arrangments to see Peg on two occasions, but she canceled both times. I was grateful to have seen Jim do his show because it was so real. I wish he would perform as Peggy Lee more often.
July 16, 2019 02:41PM
What a fantastic performer. I am so sorry he has passed.
Iv
Re: Jim Bailey "IS" Peggy Lee
July 17, 2019 11:33AM
His best impersonations were arguably those of Judy Garland and, if memory serves, Barbra Streisand. His Peggy seems alright to me, but by no means on the more noteworthy, highly successful level of the other two. That's merely my opinion, though.

For her part, Peggy Lee told the press (in either the 1970s or late 1960s) that she had recently had to fend off a string of phone calls from concerned people, calling her to say, "I saw you on TV last night. What happened to you???" Turns out that Jim Bailey had appeared on the Ed Sullivan show on a previous night, impersonating her. As for the tenor or temperature of her response, I believe that she was partially joking, and partially expressing an initial reaction of displeasure.

However, those feelings of displeasure or uneasiness seem to have diminished in ensuing years. (One main issue for her probably was how much of his impersonation was built on a foundation of respect, rather than being an attempt at mockery.) I think I've seen a photo or two out there, of Peggy Lee and Jim Bailey together, embracing.

In addition to the footage at YouTube, we can hear Bailey singing "Fever" as Peggy on a CD of his, and there is a LP in which he impersonates her as well.

Ivan
July 22, 2019 10:24AM
OMG IV! I want to see Jim and Peg embracing! I always wondered what she felt about him. I can't find this on you tube. I'm going to look again, but if you can help me, please! I only wish I could have seen him live. I agree that he did not have her down pat. Judy was another story. Very spooky likeness. Sad that there are no people coming out to resemble our past heroines. Love, Cate.
July 23, 2019 11:50AM
I was surprised to that Peggy and Jim embraced each other. I thought they never have met. I recently saw part of a performance of Chuck Sweeney on YouTube (Lee Squared). It always makes me laugh because it's so funny. We have had discussions on the female impersonators and I really enjoy the performance by Craig Russell from a concert/show in Amsterdam. He also does the other great ladies and it's really funny. I know there are fans out there who don't appreciate it, but I think it's an honour and it means you really are big star.

Richard
Iv
July 23, 2019 08:40PM
Richard's latest post made me suspect that, in my earlier message, I had probably mixed up Craig Russell with Jim Bailey. Having just double-checked, I can confirm that such is the case. Mea culpa; I confess to not having paid enough attention to the subject of Peggy's impersonators! smiling smiley

Let me clarify. The anecdote about the Ed Sullivan show (& the phone calls received by Peggy Lee) correctly refer to Jim Bailey. My mixup was instead on the matter of the photos: the couple of pics that I have seen feature Peggy with Craig, not Jim.

I kept copies of those photos in a previous computer. Alas, I no longer have access to that computer. Luckily, all is not lost: a web search retrieved at least one image, featuring Craig and Peggy together, though not embracing. To see it, go to the following link and check the several images provided: Craig Russell Memorabilia.

Coming back to Jim Bailey, the episode from The Ed Sullivan Show on which Jim appeared as Peggy aired on January 3, 1971. During the impersonation, he sang "Why Don't You Do Right", "MaƱana," and "Fever." The full clip is currently available in youTube: Jim Bailey Impersonates Peggy Lee on The Ed Sullivan Show (1971). (That TV guest appearance was actually a follow-up to one that he had made a month earlier, for which he had impersonated Judy Garland.)

As for his impersonations on record, there is a CD, containing one track as Peggy, and one LP, featuring a medley of Peggy hits as well as a performance of "Is That All There Is." While I've been aware of both of those items for a while, the following third item is just a brand new discovery for me: a 45-rpm single in which Jim sings

Love Song
When I Found You

The single in question is credited to Jim alone (no reference to an impersonation), and I have not listened to it. But my point is that those two numbers were recorded by Peggy as well, for her 1972 album Norma Deloris Egstrom ... Since the single is from 1973, there is a possibility that he sings both tracks as impersonations, too. (It is just as possible that he does not, of course.)

Ivan
July 24, 2019 07:30AM
I agree with you, Richard. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I watched someone on Lee squared who was dressed like Peg and a guy who was fantastic as Liberace. I thought this was hilarious! I don't find it in bad taste. But, I am still watching for someone who will represent our Peggy with style and realism. I am afraid this may go unheeded in our lifetime. Love, Cate.
July 25, 2019 12:04PM
Ivan, many thanks for showing us the photo of Craig and Peggy. Never knew a photo existed and great to know they have met each other. Chuck is indeed hilarious as Peggy. He does a very funny performance of Is That All There Is?. Jim Bailey does a serious act as Peggy but I think it's much more difficult to do it in a realistic way. Peggy is hard to imitate. People like Judy and Barbra are more outgoing and I think he does both much better then his version of Peggy.

Richard.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login